The Historic El Vado Motor Court was built in 1937 to cater to visitors traveling through Albuquerque on Route 66. The successful redevelopment of the property preserves the historic buildings (15,145 sf) and reactivates an important node in Albuquerque’s urban fabric into a mixed-use project consisting of a 22-room boutique motel, pool, new 3,050 square foot event center, micro-retail and micro-restaurant spaces, local brewery tap room, and amphitheater.
BHI worked with the developer and architect to provide civil engineering services for the El Vado site improvements. BHI services began at the entitlements phase and continued through the site development phase that included conceptual level drawings, a subdivision site plan and zoning change, grading and drainage, utilities, construction document preparation, and construction administration. The BHI construction engineering group also provided construction inspection as part of the public improvements.
Ideally located on Central Avenue between Old Town and Rio Grande, this community-focused redevelopment builds on local history and supports local talent and businesses. As a bonus, its location benefits and supports neighboring institutions, making it the perfect place to serve as an access hub for many of the City’s cultural landmarks in the area. The El Vado redevelopment rejuvenated a blighted stretch of Route 66 in Albuquerque through an innovative mix of public and private uses.